2015년 1월 29일 목요일

Your mini low residency: Edit now, conference in NYC

Winning Writers - best resources for poets and writers


This sponsored message is part of your subscription to the Winning Writers newsletter. These messages help us provide our services to you at no charge. You won't hear from us more than once in a week, and we never share your email address with third parties
.
Facebook Like Button Tweet Button
Your mini low res starts today
 
 
THE WRITER'S HOTEL
MASTER CLASS IN FICTION, NONFICTION, & POETRY
June 10-16, NYC
 
Your mini low residency. Pre and post study.
Edit with us now, conference with us in NYC.
 
Your mini low residency starts today. TWH is the only writing conference with a pre-conference editing service. We're ready when you are. Let's get started!
The Writer’s Hotel Master Class is a hybrid. TWH is part residency and part conference with all the important components of low residency mentorship built in. We edit your target manuscript before the conference, and even work with you for two weeks post-conference. We are writers ourselves, and we carefully designed our program so that our fellow writers would have all the coaching and help they need—not just a quick conference but a full service beginning months before the conference and ending a few weeks afterwards. It truly is a mini low residency program. Our goal is simple: we want you to be the best writer you can be.

Our work with you begins the moment we accept you. From then on, we work hard with you on writing craft and help you cultivate better editing skills, so that you can become your own best editor. We work with you on the manuscript you'll bring to the conference as part of our conference package. Both TWH Editors, Scott Wolven and Shanna McNair, read your manuscript twice, making extensive comments. We help you polish this target manuscript for the agents and editors we'll introduce you to on-site. We also help you to create a great query letter, and help you hone your industry communication skills.
You'll get to workshop with your genre mentor and peers in NYC. There will also be a faculty panel, where you'll receive feedback on your work. Workshops, lectures and literary events are held in midtown Manhattan between three writer's hotels, The Algonquin HotelThe Library Hotel, and The Bryant Park Hotel. Workshops will take place at The Library Hotel Writer's Den, Poetry Garden, and Executive Boardroom and workshops, lectures and seminars will be given at The Bryant Park Hotel Terrace Loft and The Loft.

Workshop Leaders are TWH Editor Scott Wolven and TWH Founder and Director Shanna McNair instructing in Fiction; Richard Hoffman and Elyssa East instructing in Nonfiction; and Stephen Dunn instructing in Poetry. There will be special guests and lecturers in all three genres, including a lecture on the visual narrative by Emmy Award-winning filmmaker Zach Zamboni, a short poetry workshop hosted by Maine Poet Laureate Wesley McNair and writing craft lectures by poet and author Barbara Hurd and poet Kathleen Aguero.

There are four different writing lectures to choose from each afternoon. We help you bring your work to market, right there in NYC where the publishing industry is strong. We bring agents and editors to you on panels and at our speed-dating events, so you can make real connections in the industry. We coach you in reading performance, so that you can be a more confident reader. You will get to read at an incredible venue, and you’ll be named on a TWH event poster. Our venues include KGB Bar Lit's Red RoomThe Half King, and Kinokuniya.

For a little extra fun, we also host literary walking tours and a game of "Wink, Murder" at The Algonquin Hotel, a parlor game made famous by NYC's so-called "Vicious Circle."

It's free to apply. Just send in 20-25 pages. The sooner you're accepted, the sooner we can get to work on your manuscript. Tuition is $2,500 and includes all pre-conference editing services, in-town events, workshops, lectures, agent speed-dating, and student readings in the city. Application deadline is April 1. 
***************


What writers are saying

At The Writer's Hotel, we work alongside writers every day. We love our work, and our writers inspire us. We asked some of our writers to share what TWH looks like from their point of view. Here is what writers are saying:

“I am blown away by the time TWH Editors dedicated to read, comment, and discuss my manuscript pre-conference. The editorial approach is unlike any I have experienced, as I seek to shape my work into book form…The Writer’s Hotel experience has exceeded my expectations. TWH has set a high bar...My enthusiasm grows.” –Jim G.

“Supportive yet very rigorous and specific commentary and guidance. Plenty of individual attention. Connections with agents and editors. I've continued on with TWH Editors on an individual basis. I can't afford to waste time and money, and they are the best buy I've found so far.” –Tim C.

“The Writer’s Hotel is that rare combination of literary chops, know-how of the publishing system, and perhaps most importantly: generosity. From the moment I signed up until a month after the workshop, I received almost unlimited feedback on anything I sent. Throughout the publishing process, from agent to editor, TWH shepherded me through. They were smart and tough and incredibly encouraging…my fellow workshop students were some of the smartest and most talented writers I’ve come into contact with outside of my MFA program. I believe the kindness and talent of the other workshop participants comes directly from the kindness and talent of TWH. Without them, I feel very sure my book would never have come this far. The Writer’s Hotel is a rare gem in a sea of workshops.” –Bethany B.


The Writer's Hotel has provided me with the attention, encouragement, and motivation that I have needed since graduating from my MFA program. Writing, for me, is a solitary discipline. For the most part I am productive and content when left alone. At the same time, I need community. It helps me to have people to talk to about books and language. I grow and improve when I have careful readers whom I can trust to give me thoughtful comments on my work…The Writer's Hotel has helped me find the perfect balance between community and solitude. I have grown as a writer because of my participation in programs offered by The Writers Hotel. –Timothy D.

“From the time you check in at The Writer’s Hotel, you experience the energy of creative minds that focus on ways to help you become the best writer possible…[TWH] helps a writer re-imagine a project, define characters more completely, or create a context for a story to unfold more dramatically. They are keenly respectful of a writer’s work…It has been an exciting, motivating, and growth-producing experience to be a part of The Writer’s Hotel!” –Marcia P.
 
“Before the conference I worked with TWH Editors…feedback was honest and came from a place of respect and compassion…told me what the stories needed and how to take the strengths and make them stronger…Receiving feedback is overwhelming, but with this guidance and support, I sat down and worked. I worked hard because their words, their honesty were exactly what I needed to hear to grow and challenge myself as a writer. When I arrived in New York, I felt like a guppy in a big pond. But after the first day of workshop…I felt like a more committed literary citizen, which is a stronger reader, a more conscientious workshop participant, but also a stronger, more committed writer.”–Kerri Q.

“The Writer
s Hotel has made everything possible in my writing—and without ever once taking away from my voice, from what I have to say as a writer.  Working with them has shown me an upward spiral of improvements. They have the ability to gently extract all that is possible within me so that I may excel.” –Sara P.

***************
 
Stipend and award information 

TWH is a member of the Association of Writers and Writing Programs' (AWP) Writers and Writing Conferences community. TWH applicants are eligible for AWP's Scholarship Competition for conference attendees, where three $500 conference stipend grants are awarded each year to emerging writers of Fiction, Nonfiction, or Poetry. In that spirit, TWH will also award three merit-based stipends, ranging from $200-$500 on site in NYC. TWH stipends will be announced after deadline, post registration. TWH stipend recipients are chosen at the discretion of our stipend committee. We also are able to point accepted writers toward credit opportunities via our billing arm, and we can also let you know about affordable hotels nearby. Please note that TA positions are filled for TWH 2015.

Please inquire at Editors@WritersHotel.com for more details or visit us on the web atwww.newguardreview.com. You can apply today by clicking this link or by clicking the red button below! Space is limited. 
 

:: TWH is the editorial and teaching arm of The New Guard literary review. ::
 
CLICK HERE TO APPLY. SPACE IS LIMITED.
 
TWH 2015 WORKSHOP LEADERS
 
TWH 2015 SELECTED GUEST LECTURERS 




댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기