2015년 1월 23일 금요일

What Swoodson Said - Week of 1/23/15


Hey!
January is chugging along and I'm proud of how my creative and blog resolutions have been playing out so far. Personal resolutions, maybe not so much. Fifth consecutive year that I pledge to floss every night and then.. forget when bedtime rolls around.

Don't forget about Try Something New Every Month, if you'd like to join in for February there is still time!-Stephanie

Read:

  • "Irish Linen: An ancient cloth, with a mythical history" by Gerry Jones on Merchant & Makers. I have never sewn anything from linen and can't think of a single linen thing in my home! I stereotype it as wrinkly, unflattering fabric used in clothes to mask one's shape. This essay totally changed my prejudice; I had no idea that it was such a versatile fabric (or that Ireland was famous for it!).
  • Rebecca told me about DIY.org, a site for kids to try new skills and earn badges and I'm a little obsessed. I had fun looking through some of the skills and the site is beautiful - check it out!

Shop:

  • I've professed my love for terrariums before (they were my wedding centerpieces!) and this geometric one from Waen on Etsy is gorgeous. I'm picturing it in my future home, that isn't filled with toddlers.
  • I've never pulled the trigger and ordered any Spoonflower knit fabric because of the price, but I always check in on this designer, Little Smile Makers. I love this retro camper print!

See:

  • This hammered leaf art idea from Build/Make/Craft/Bake is so cool! I love that it requires very little supplies and would be fun to do over and over again. It would make a neat vacation memento too!
  • I haven't done much origami or paper crafting, but this convertible paper frisbee from All For The Boys is so pretty (I wonder if it flies? She doesn't mention)
One of my blog goals is to have a sewing or craft book review each month - mostly to motivate myself to use them instead of just collecting them! A new one is on the blog this week, "Fabric-by-Fabric One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Projects Using Cottons, Knits, Voiles, Corduroy, Fleece, Flannel, Home Dec, Oilcloth, Wool, and Beyond“ by Patricia Hoskins and Rebecca Yaker.

I made this adorable crayon bag and share my thoughts on both it and the entire book in this post.
 
Valentine's Day is coming and I'm ready, with my son's new Tinley Tee (pattern from GYCT Designs). A bunch of designers from the Betties group swapped patterns, read more about it here.
I posted this the other week and forgot to share it - it's just a quick reminder to shop your Target (or thrift store)'s clearance racks for sheets! I sew mostly in knit fabrics, but I know people love flannel sheets for pjs and woven sheets for quilt backings or dresses.See what projects I've made with Target jersey sheets over the past year.
 
This week I added these events to the social sewing calendar



댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기